Sunday, October 5, 2008

Viva Long Island.


So today I awoke, made coffee and got ready for my day. I was supposed to be going to a pig roast in New Jersey, but the friends I was supposed to go with decided to go a day early and not pick me up on the way.

So I went to the yarn store and bought some yarn. On my way, I passed by Saint John the Divine. There was this scene going on outside the church, where people in white robes were leading all sorts of animals to the front of the church. The animals included and were not limited to a camel, a tiny horse, an elk, a huge hawk, and a donkey. I have no idea what they were doing, but I presume it was some sort of religious event. I totally could have pictured this scene in the movie from last night. I had to call Kate and tell her of this craziness.

After picking up some yarn, and finding out that purple is the new black; I walked through Columbia campus to find another silly event. There were children infesting my campus! They were all over jumping, dancing and singing. There was a literature event for children going on and there was the likes of a concert going on in front of Butler library.

It's not that I hate kids. I can handle them in small doses. I am so not ready to have any of my own. I just can't imagine, at this point in my life, trying to teach someone everything about life from scratch. I feel like I am struggling enough with teaching myself, that it would just be extremely intellectually un-stimulating for me to go back and re-capitulate what I've already discovered.

I got to Long Island and went to Costco. You don't realize how amazing Costco is until you haven't been for a while. On the way to Costco, there must have been some sort of pro-life protest. It lasted for I-kid-you-not 5 miles of 110!

The mixture of these 2 events going on make me really glad that as of now, we are a pro-choice country. I can't imagine, god forbid, having a child at 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, maybe 27, but I guess I will have to see when I get there.

You feel me?

5 comments:

BrittanyRose said...

"I feel like...it would just be extremely intellectually un-stimulating for me to go back and re-capitulate what I've already discovered."

Hey I thought you were going to be a college professor after you get your masters?

I'm sure it will be a whole new brilliant world of rewarding intellectual stimulation to teach others all of the intelligent information you have discovered over the years :)

rogue said...

I will be a college professor, but that is SO much different than teaching a baby everything from scratch. When I am a professor, my students will teach me as well. I guess you can say the same for when you have a baby. Because I know you learn a great deal from that. It's just that I am not ready for that kind of learning.

BrittanyRose said...

True true... college kids are on a much different level then pre-school kids who are still egocentric and can't think absractly lol. Lots of patience involved in teaching little kids all the basics we learned so long ago... I am so not ready for that anytime soon either.

I don't even have a blog on this website... I just made a user name to comment yours lol. I do enjoy reading it though. It's very interesting to see how another person is thinking about things.

Unknown said...

Aww well I am glad you showed interest and enjoy what I have to say. Makes me happy. btw. you wil SO be on here after we hang out on the 18th lol.

rogue said...

ahh its nicole on rachel's thing. i didnt realize she was still logged on.