Saturday, October 4, 2008

Critique.

I haven't seen such a good documentary in like forever. Go see Religulous. I actually had the immensely awesome opportunity to see it with a Columbia religion grad student (echem Kate). I can never follow an organized religion wholeheartedly for as long as I live. Bill Maher is genius.

I used to wonder why I had this overwhelming urge to cry whenever I sat in church. It occurred to me within the last few years that it was because I felt bad that so many people were worshiping something that isn't true. Not only is there no proof, the whole scenario is something that science tells us is impossible.

It is really sad that there are so many ignorant people in the world who are so fixated on their ideas just because they want something to believe in. Toward the end of the movie, during Bill's epilogue, he says that not enough people doubt. Doubt is humble. We should be humble. I pay more attention to morals and ethics than religion. I believe this helps me not to get blindsided by all the dumb people in the world. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.


Some fun facts/memorable parts from the movie...


93% of scientists are agnostic or atheist.

Religion boosts propaganda for the sale of something that's invisible.

The interview with the Reverend with the $2,000 suit, claiming that God wanted him to dress nice. (with the church's money!)

The second coming of the Puerto Rican Jesus (Puh-lease!) "I am ancestor of Jesus, his blood-line went through Spain and France and Puerto Rico".

The holy land amusement park. (I can't believe that exists)
-The guy why played Jesus there-"God is like water, he can be liquid, gas and ice, just like the father son and holy spirit". Those ladies were sold!

The trucker church. (nuff said)

The rabbi who could(couldn't). "Let me finish, let me finish!"

Everybody speaking in tongues. (which is a falsity, by the way).

George W. Bush: I believe that God wants everybody to be free. That's what I believe. And that's uh, been part of my... foreign policy.

Bill Maher: You're a senator. It worries me that people are running my country who believe in a talking snake.
Senator of Arkansas: You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate though. He he!

Bill Maher: If Santa Claus can hit every house in the world.
Steve Berg (Jew for Jesus and owner of a RIDICULOUSLY overpriced religious artifact store): No, we don't believe in Santa Claus.
Bill Maher: Of course not, that's one man flying all around the world and dropping presents down a chimney. One man hearing everybody murmur at him at the same time, that I get.

6 comments:

ThatGuy said...

So religious is made/produced by Bill Maher? I had not heard of this film, is it new? A few more examples of Bill’s work that is so awesome:
I’m guessing similar to the films perspective:

We are a nation that is unenlightened because of religion. I do believe that. I think religion stops people from thinking. I think it justified crazies.
~Bill Maher

One of my personal favorites:

Maybe every other American movie shouldn't be based on a comic book. Other countries will think Americans live in an infantile fantasy land where reality is whatever we say it is and every problem can be solved with violence.
~Bill Maher

rogue said...

It's called Religulous. It is a new film, it just came out on October 3rd. It is only playing at 2 theaters in NYC, I believe the AMC loews on 68th and Broadway and Angelika cinemas in the Union Square area.

Bill Maher is brilliant. Both quotes are very true. I totally agree with the fact that every other film is based on superheroes and violence. I couldn't have said it better myself.

ThatGuy said...

Yeah about seeing that film...I might have to wait a while for it to make its way all the way over here on the other side of the 'pond'. Hawaii is not usually the first in line for new shyt. Want to see it thought, whenever that may be.

Yeah, Bill just has that slightly different angle on everyday things that is so interesting to me, simple things like:
Hi, I'm Bill. I'm a birth survivor.
~Bill Maher

rogue said...

haha. I didn't realize you live in Hawaii. What island? Now the Hawaiian shirt thing makes sense.

ThatGuy said...

Yeah, I live on O'ahu (the main island), home of Honolulu and Waikiki (little Japan). So, I like how you just listed off the theatres where Religulous was playing, thinking I was a fellow NY peep; that and I also wear Aloha Shirts every friday in NY! Nice....

rogue said...

LOL. i guess I assumed.