Thursday, December 11, 2008

Self.


Ok, so last night I decided to be a total schlub. It was rainy and I decided to watch entourage and go out and buy some girly mags and seltzer. I never really liked seltzer, and now all the sudden it's my favorite thing to drink.

So I bought a Self magazine for the first time in a long time, and realized that I really like it. It has a lot of really good, real advice. It isn't like the trashy crap they feed teenagers. It has real statistical information about populations of people, medical info, and information about volunteering. It even has a section with tips on how to not over shop or over spend. Most other mags urge you to buy everything because that's how they get paid.

There was a section that completely surprised me about random facts about people in America. I was really surprised where NY and LI ranked.

Least Depression: Nassau-Suffolk counties, NY
Most Depression: Bakersfield, CA

Fewest Suicides: Nassau-Suffolk counties, NY
Most Suicides: Colorado Springs, CO

Fewest Rapes: New York, NY
Most Rapes: Little Rock, AR

Safest Roads: New York, NY
Most Dangerous Roads: Baton Rouge, LA

Does any of this information surprise you? It totally surprised me.

If I had to get a job besides being a professor, I would feel satisfied working for this magazine by getting their sociological, statistical information. I mean, there must be someone who does that. They have a lot of pages with random facts which must be extracted from sociological archives. This could be a fun way for me to reach out to people through the media, a way to constructively enlighten people, other than being a professor.

I wonder what this type of job would be called?

1 comments:

Cuppa Jo said...

Not at all surprised about Bakersfield. Drove through there last year and my happiness factor dropped precipitously. I would have thought the least depressed place would have been in Florida or something. And not really surprised about Arkansas thing. Interesting facts though.