Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My Life as Dorothy.


A History professor once told me that the story of the Wizard of Oz was a reference to America's growth. The ruby red slippers were originally silver, which symbolized the silver trade, the scarecrow early on in the movie represented the agricultural period, the tin man symbolized the industrial period, and I believe the cowardly lion was supposed to represent warfare ( I am not 100% sure about him though.) The emerald city represented money and the rise of capitalism, while I believe the Wizard was supposed to be Rockefeller or one of those big business moguls of the time.

While I think this is a wonderful analogy, and can see it making sense for the external representations of characters, my analysis goes much deeper than that. My recent excavations and choice to branch out on my own has lead me to really believe that 'there's no place like home'. I have been meeting people here who are brainless, heartless and courage-less. (Mostly the first two) I am on this wild search for wisdom and a eventual monetary security(echem the emerald city).


I was romanticizing this thought on the subway today and it made me really nostalgic. I know the fact that I am a cancer makes me yearn for qualities from the past like no other, so maybe this is just that part of me acting out. Or maybe it's because Saturn is opposite Uranus.

0 comments: