Friday, November 28, 2008

Hometown Blues.

Why is it that everyone hates where they came from? An abundance of major novels, movies and plays were written criticizing or to criticize one's origin. This seems like an ever-present enigma concurrent in many of today's media. I wonder why that is. Maybe its because it is only when we are comfortable enough with something to love it, are we comfortable enough to hate it. I know, for example, I can't really hate something/someone until I love it first. Even if that love is hidden. I mean, there are plenty of things I don't like. But in order to hate something, I think I must have really liked it first. Therefore, the only reason why professing hatred for one's hometown is so prevalent in the media is because we don't have a choice but to love where we came from, therefore we grow to hate it. Does this make any sense at all?

1 comments:

Cuppa Jo said...

A line from one of my favorite movies, 'The Vikings'--love and hate are two horns on the same goat. Or something like that. I think love and hate are essentially the same emotion, mixed up and befuddled by the human mind. Love is viewed as being more positive, hate is more negative. I think people are just confused.