Friday, November 7, 2008

Doing Everything but Accomplishing Nothing.

1) Since I brought my guitar into the city on Sunday, I have been writing songs a bit. I went to Kate's on Wednesday to hang and I played her my songs. When I played her the first one I wrote, she insisted that she record it. Therefore, soon I will have it posted on here. It's actually about this guy I previously mentioned from craigslist. He was txting me and annoying me while I was playing, so the song turned out to be about him haha. I really like the other song that I wrote. It needs a bit of practice because there is a bit of finger picking. Thats right, I gave up on the pick once and for all, so now you can actually hear me sing.

2) Also on Wednesday, Pikachu peed on my bed/pillow! I yelled at her and changed my sheets. Not that yelling her did anything, but I sent her mental images of me being mad and her peeing on the bed. Later on that night, she pees AGAIN in the same spot! I got mad and gave her a shower as punishment. Then I thought about it for a while, and I got her new litter recently. Maybe she doesn't like peeing on it? So I mixed it with the old stuff, and now we're all good (I hope).

Other than that spout of bitchiness, Pika has been very adorable, waking me up with whiskers in my face and Eskimo kisses.

3) I handed in my paper yesterday that I have been talking about. I am really nervous, even though it is a pass/fail class. We got assigned 600 paged to read for my theory class this week. I just laugh. I have no idea how to approach this, or what sections to leave out.

I was really awesome in class yesterday, at least I think so. Ok, at Dowling, I used to be the kind of student who would always speak her mind in class and was always the leader, if not, one of the leaders of class discussion. Since I've come to Columbia, I have tried a bit to be my old self, but found myself making somewhat irrelevant points and sometimes being laughed at (not really at...more with...but I felt like these really smart people were secretly thinking in the back of their minds "what a moron"). At Dowling, when people would laugh it me, I felt like they were all really happy that I was in class to lighten the mood and make learning less serious. Needless to say, I LOVE Columbia, but I can;t picture myself working at a big institutions. Too many ego's would get in the way of a good lecture.

Back to my point. I asked two questions/made two points in class that were really relevant and made great sense. Nobody laughed, and I felt that was some sort of accomplishment. :)

4) Last night was my first knitting class. I picked out a pattern for a really cute "go everywhere" cardigan. I am making it in black with this really pretty blended red mohair trim. I am using the smallest sticks I have ever used before (meaning the stitches will be really tiny, thus it will take more stitches to occupy the same amount of space that normally one stitch does). I am supposed to complete the back of the sweater this week. That means I have to stitch about 4 inches a day. That means about 4 hours a day. I need to learn to knit and read at the same time.

There are three other people in my class. Two of which I believe are teachers and the other one is this little girl who is probably around 10-12. This yarn store is awesome. There are 2 knitting sections, one upstairs and one downstairs. There were college age girls knitting upstairs and drinking sangria during the time my class was going on.

5) After my knit lesson, my friend Mariel (who I know from high school, who goes to Columbia Teachers College) invited me to come to this Grad student TC thing at Havanna Central. I stopped by there on my way home from knitting, had a couple of beers and came home. Knitted, watched Penelope, then went to bed.

1 comments:

Godzilah said...

you really need to get out more and get involved in things. I heard that there is an excellent Chinese acrobat class teaching French cooking that I think you would love. :-). Pica sounds like a cutie. Not the peeing part though.