Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Currant

Monday morning I woke up to get brunch with Dr. Rogers. We went to Mundays, our usual joint and discussed a broad cross section of goings ons. She was all flustered as she left for Paris yesterday. One of her students wrote a paper for SASE and got into the periodical. They have one conference per year for the student and advisor to go and commemorate their publication. This year was Paris, last year was Bangladesh. I am hoping that I can get one of my papers into this journal, as it would be fun to travel (for free) and it would look excellent on my resume. Nathalia is always so upbeat and positive. I told her about my band and that I may be taking an extra year off, (deferring my acceptance) and she said that I should do what I feel in my heart right now and that school/academia will always be there. I just can't lose focus. She even said that she would like to come to one of my shows or something.


After brunch, I had the girls over for band practice. As always, we made progress. I told them about the band name I had been thinking of, and they both love it. I don't want to go with one of those 'the' names, however, when thinking about the band's common interests I thought about wine and the beach. I thought about 'The Currant', the kinds that are in wine, then I thought about 'The Current', as in waves, and then I thought about current times. I like that this word has three meanings, even though some are spelt differently. They were both excited about the name, and amazed that no one had thought of it before (or maybe they have and just haven't gone anywhere with it).

0 comments: