Thursday, May 7, 2009

The World of Social Media

So, since my obsession with Paper Tiger and other social justice media companies, I have entered into this whole world of figuring out what different non profit organizations do, and what they stand for. It is a world I never knew existed, but am so glad to have entered. Now that I am researching for internships or part time jobs, I have thrust myself into this world of non profit organizations. I must say, it feels good.

Last night, I went to talk to the woman, sort of in charge of paper tiger. She told me about the internship position that may be available. It is still tentative, because there is someone who may be staying the summer who originally said they were going to leave the country, so I don't know if I have that yet. However, regardless, I have chosen to be a collective member. This is sort of like a volunteer, but it is with a group of people who are interested in the same sort of social justice that I am, who I can really learn a lot from. I am thrilled to sort of be out in the business world. Even though I have barely begun this non profit adventure, I feel like I have already learned a lot about myself and how I come off in the business setting.

What I really love about Paper Tiger is that they have meetings once a week, and they are totally non hierarchical. It sort of feels like doing a group project for a class, where everyone is interested and wants to contribute information. My new pseudo-boss told us about a meeting tonight about the trajectory of social justice video's on the internet. It seems like a really important topic to me, especially since I just finished a paper about the trajectory of the public sphere with use of the internet for one of my classes.

I also agreed to volunteer for this healthcare thing. Since I am also working on and interested in direct to consumer pharmaceutical advertisements, AND I saw this particular group of activists called 'Healthcare Now' at the protest I surveyed, I feel like it would be interesting to help out with the videotaping of those kinds of things.

Ok. Enough about me.

0 comments: