Sunday, May 31, 2009

"There May Not Be A Heaven. But There Is A San Fransisco"


My trip has been incredible so far. I have never been filled with so much feverish envy of those who live here, especially Michelle and her awesome roomies. Her apartment is incredible with classic architecture and a fantastic view. (See picture).

When we arrived to the SFO airport, we hopped into a classy new mercedes, which took us to The Hotel California. THC is located a stones throw away from Union Square. This historical hotel is laden with song, movie and literature quotes about SF, which adorn the lobby walls and the crests of the rooms. Our suite is decked with several detailed maps of the golden state, which I find really helpful, for my geography knowledge of the west coast is somewhat limited.

Shortly after arriving at our room, we met up with Michelle. She is my BFF from kindergarten-2nd grade, whom I haven't seen in 10 years. I have to credit Facebook for reuniting us. It's a really comfortable feeling, seeing someone you used to spend all your time with, in a different era of your life; after a long break of not seeing each other, and finding that you haven't really missed a beat.

Michelle had made dinner reservations for 6, so we hopped on an adorable little street car and arrived at the ferry building. We walked for a few blocks and got to the chic little restaurant where we were to dine. The food was delicious, but the conversation was even better. Michelle is so dynamic and has so many great things going on in her life. I am really envious of her situation, but not in a jealous way; I am just completely in awe of how great things are for her. Then I look at my life and compare, and yes, I am happy, I feel like I am doing great things as well, however, I haven't taken nearly as many risks as her, and in some cases, I believe that has made all the difference. I mean, she went to Baltimore for undergrad, then moved to SF and who knows where she will live after this. I feel like I have been taking baby steps to get out of my comfort zone, but I am still suffering from not being able to cut the hypothetical umbilical cord. So far this trip has really made me realize how badly I need to go somewhere new for my doctorate. Not necessarily SF, but somewhere where I can make a whole new group of friends and really create a new environment for myself. I have been noticing lately, that as much as I love the awesome group of people that I hang out with in BK, we have vastly different interests concerning our life's purpose. As exhilarating as I find hanging out with artists, musicians and fashionistas; I feel my soul would benefit more from hanging out with scholastic, activist-minded people.

I am considering checking out additional doctoral programs in San Diego or at UCLA. It helps that there are so many maps in this apartment, which I can look to for inspiration and visually explore my options for living in Cali.

0 comments: