Thursday, January 1, 2009

Teach For America

So, I decided today that I am applying for
Teach for America
This is a program with its hand in many different low income schools around America, aiming for the overarching goal of equal education. I have always wanted to live in New Orleans. I know that now is not the best time for this because of the harsh post-tragedy conditions, but I have an earnest desire to help people who are in distress. This is a 2 year program. Long, I know, but this or something like this has been a goal of mine for some time now. I really stand behind the goals of this program and strongly believe in what they are trying to pursue.

Here is my letter of intent.

I believe that educational inequity is a devastating epidemic in America. In a democratic capitalist country, we are lead to believe that we, the people, have a voice and that anyone can get ahead. These commonly held beliefs are not always true, especially within the sphere of education. Lower income urban areas have a notorious reputation for being underfunded and understaffed. This common trait allows for many children to fall behind and not achieve their true potential as individuals. This inadequate education is a leading cause of high crime rates in urban areas. Education, in many cases, is an important determinant for one's financial and mental well-being. If children aren't granted proper education, how are they supposed to get ahead?
I feel that this program will quench my thirst for philanthropy and enable me to touch the lives of people less fortunate than myself. I hope that through this program, I will become a better teacher, a practice that will aid my future career as a sociology professor/researcher. I also truly desire to connect with children and spark an excitement for education in them; much like the one that I feel, which a professor has ignited in me.
I am particularly interested in teaching in New Orleans because I believe that its residents have been dealt a rather poor hand environmentally and that it is the important responsibility of a teacher to give hope and to use education as an outlet for less-than-perfect life situations. I have always been passionate about correct dialect and grammatical syntax. I am hoping to teach English to children on the middle school level.
My strong affinity for academia paired with my witty and friendly personality make me an excellent candidate for Teach for America. Through my extensive studies and interest in the social sciences, I am well equipped and passionate about human rights and social equality and feel that my charismatic approach to harnessing and nurturing young minds would be a well appreciated asset to teach for America.

1 comments:

Boppy said...

Faabulous how your writing has improved. I'm impressed.