Monday, January 26, 2009

Practice What You Preach.

Yesterday I met with someone from Teach For America. He basically made me want to cry and not follow through with the program. The summer program which certifies you to teach, he says, is extremely grueling and much like a teaching boot camp. Then once you actually start teaching, the kids are extremely unruly and start fist fights on a daily basis. One good thing I figured out is that TFA employees actually earn their masters in education while they teach. I don't know if I am cut out for this sort of rigorous, tedious, strain that TFA is known for. But the other part of me says that this is my time to put my money where my mouth is and practice what I preach. P.s. Today I found out that TFA invited me to go to a final interview. I guess I just need to talk to more people who have done the program. I just don't know what to do.

Today I went to 2 classes; sociology of expertise and sociology in/and/of the novel. I really have my work cut out for me this semester. I have to keep telling myself to relax more because I know I will not get through this semester if I go about things the way I normally do.

During my break in between classes I read my classmates submitted memos for my 'designs of research' class. I found out a lot of interesting things about my classmates that I never knew. One woman was a practicing lawyer, another one is a certified biochemist and studied the spreading of cancer cells, another has multiple publications, and another student's into I couldn't even fathom reading cause his language was too elitist. I am wondering where I fit in. Why they picked me? I wondered this all of last semester and I still haven't come to a proper conclusion. I do believe I am the youngest person in my department. Maybe my job is to be the sponge and soak up everyone's integrity and diverse research and use it toward my own exciting sociological endeavors. Who knows?

Tomorrow is my day off/day to read a bajillion pages.

0 comments: