Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Columbia BureauCRAZY.

Yesterday was my first day of school. I REALLY enjoyed my Anthropology class. The teacher is a HOT older British man. (sigh) Too many people signed up for the class however, and preference had to be given to anthropology students...I got booted. I was pissed for a while today because I already bought the books and read a large portion of the reading for the week. Tomorrow I will be checking out that same professor's undergrad course with hopes of signing up for it as an independent study with extra work. What he teaches is just so relevant to what I want to do for my dissertation eventually(media and religion, dealing with secular and non-secular beliefs). It also doesn't hurt that the prof is gorgeous.

After a long day of schooling, I was tired but completely content. Even though I had spent a total of 2 hours on the subway, I couldn't have been happier. I am living my life's purpose. I love broadening my horizons and my mind. It feels really good to be in school again. I may have more highs and lows, but its way better than the monotony of static.

After the long haul back from Columbia to Williamsburg yesterday, Carrie and I met up for Thai and went to the Lazy Catfish for free PBR and watched the inauguration party. I hung out with a lot of great people..a usual occurrence in Brooklyn. I really feel like I belong here.

Today, I had to wake up at 7 to be at a mandatory class at 9. This class is a socialization and peer review class. It is different than any other class I have taken before in that each week we read a bunch of articles and then write a response. We then submit that response online and our peers are assigned to read it. The class is all about class discussion of the materials. The professor for this class is another good looking older man, but instead of the sexy accent, he's got a great sense of humor.

After class, I met up with Kate for lunch. I had a kick ass veggie burger with sweet potato fries. YUM. Then, Kate wanted to check out a Feminist seminar class over at Barnard. I went with her to check it out. It seemed really interesting, but it was packed and I don't think I could handle rejection again.

Tonight LOST is back. A few friends and I are having a mexican potluck and champagne to celebrate the event. I am making quesadillas.

OH. I e-mailed the guy who interviewed me for teach for America and we're supposed to be going out for coffee or something this week. He's kinda cute and I already know we have good conversations. We have our ivy league status and philanthropy in common, so I can't help but think that maybe we'll hit it off. I am probably just jumping to conclusions but what can I say? It's been a while since I found someone worth seriously liking.

2 comments:

Das said...

no way of talking to him on the side and seeing if theres any way you can still take the class? im sure if you wanted to hard enough having done all that reading already you could talk your way into it =p

rogue said...

yeah yeah. i wish. professors can be real douchebags sometimes. Its all because of the 16 ppl max occupancy on the class. It is ok tho because I will be taking the undergrad class which is actually better anyway.