Sunday, June 21, 2009

Providence, RI


Yesterday, (Saturday) I was supposed to go to the mermaid parade in Coney Island with Blair. However, it was raining so Blair came up with a plan B, which was to go to Rhode Island to see Ted Leo and the Pharmacists. I haven't spontaneously driven out of state to see a band play in so long, so I did everything in my power to make it happen. We had a nice ride in the rain, listening to good music and having good conversation. We stopped for Taco Bell on the way (totally out of the way but completely necessary) and then we finally made it to RI. They were just finishing up having a gay pride parade so the city was alive. It was nice being there with him, sort of like a mini getaway. Its funny how much more you appreciate a place when you've spontaneously driven 4 hours to get there.

We found the venue and they told us the show was sold out. But we told them that we just traveled all that way, so they let us in anyway. The show was great and the opening band reminded us of the Sex Pistols meets Connor Oberst...meets a few others. After the show we took some pictures in front of the festively flamboyant capitol building and I ran through some sprinklers. We then drove home and arrived in Brooklyn at 4am.

Today I said goodbye to B for the summer. It was kind of sad, but I know I will see him again when he gets back and then again when I get back from Taiwan. The summer isn't the time to fall for someone anyway, I think it must be protocol that the weather be much colder for that.

Happy father's day!

0 comments: