Monday, April 20, 2009

Wall-e


I watched Wall-e for the first time last night and was blown away by what a fine example of dystopia it presents. The humans portrayed in the movie are fat slobs who sit in recliners all day and let machines turn them into passive consumers. This representation takes a notion we all know of today and exemplifies it in a horrifying way, however impossible, to show kids and adults alike what 'would' happen if we continue to let technology consume our consciousness (thus, granting us Marx's favorite notion; false consciousness).

I really enjoyed the movie and thought it was cute and innovative and most importantly, I like the theme of science fiction dystopianism. However, I found many of the images that the movie conveys to be elementary, inhumane and at worst, futile.

1) The portrayal of everyone as fat and lazy was completely moronic. There are ALWAYS going to be image conscious people and people who work out at the gym. WE are humans with human bodies. No matter what, we are going to feel like shit if we don't move around every so often.

2) The portrayal of the commercial for 'liquid lunch', where everyone, after hearing the ad rushed to the nearest vendor and got one was absurd. There will always be non conformists, and there will always be good food. I refuse to believe this isn't so. If this was true, my whole reason for existence would be banal and purposeless.

3) Jason said Wall-e was like jesus. Chew on that.

Thus, my movie review is as stated. I think there are many different interpretations of the themes and patterns which evolve through this movie. A truly innovative and unique exposure of science fiction dystopianism for a young and deeply impressionable audience. I give it an enthusiastic 2 thumbs up, however, if I could re-do a few things, I would jump at the opportunity.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, someone else completely missing the point and making a futile attempt to put down the film and Pixar to belittle its success. Sorry, no dice, your comments are indeed "elementary and lazy", Pixar's film, is not.