Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Hot Springs





Yesterday Amanda and I met up at the bus station at 10:30 to go to a hot spring/hike. We got a delicious breakfast kind of food with fried egg and sweet delicious sauce and waited for bus 260. Bus 260 came and went without us, so we decided to take an alternate route to the Beitou stop. We got some directions from a guide and started walking toward where we thought the spring was. It was an uphill climb and we got thirsty so we stopped for a few beers at this adorable little shack next to a bubbling brook in the hillside. We had an amazing heart to heart and found out that our love lives are very similar. After enjoying cold beers in the sweltering heat she climbed a tree and I took pictured. We then found what we believed to be the public hot spring. We dipped our toesies in and could barely take it. The water was approximately 250 degrees. We were severely disappointed. We walked around a bit and found a hot spring museum and took a quick tour. After the tour, we started walking to get food and some guy stopped me to take a picture with me! It was really funny. I totally stick out lie a sore thumb, especially in the suburban area we were at. At that point, we found a Sushi Express, which has delicious sushi on a conveyor belt. After eating we went to the REAL hot spring and soaked in acidic sulfuric water. It was a really interesting, cultural experience. There were a lot of old people soaking their aching muscles and arthritis ridden limbs. It was a lot like public hot tubs, with tiers indicating the level of hotness. I could barely dip my toe in the top tier. I suppose it is good for people with joint and muscle aches, however I couldn't really handle the heat. After soaking, we went to Shadaa to visit Sway at work. She works at a Kiwi burger place. The spaghetti gang came and met up and then Cres and I went to Shilin, the most amazing night market in Taiwan.

0 comments: